Wednesday, 25 August 2010

A leap of faith


Wow it’s been a busy week. I have way too much to do. I’ve been busy trying to finish off my dissertation (almost there!) and have been getting ready for my holiday. I really can’t wait to just get it finished so I can sort out as much Random Quirks and Toast Rack stuff as possible before I head off.

So, I’m about to jump off a cliff. With my holiday looming I of course have the dreaded “what shall I do when I get back and I’m thrown into the reality of unemployment” thoughts dominating my mind. I’ve spent too many nights worrying about what I’m going to do with myself, especially since I’ve been full on job-hunting since May with no result. I realise there’s a pretty good possibility that I won’t get a job, at least not for awhile. It used to bring me to tears just thinking about it. But the thing is, I’m not scared anymore.  I’m not scared because I have a plan.

I’m not going to sit around, doing nothing but search for jobs and wait for someone to give me a chance. What I’m going to do as well as search for jobs, is work for myself, even if I have to scrape by. I’m going to finish all those half made creative projects I’ve been putting off and I’m going to sell them. There’s fabric that needs sewing, blank t-shirts that need painting and vintage stock that needs selling. I’m going to make my jewellery and finally be able to fully commit myself to my shops. Not only online, but also face-to-face in as many venues as possible like I did last year.

There will also finally be time for me to read all those helpful articles I found all over the web and saved on my computer. And I’ll be able to take notes and follow the advice I find.

I want to clear out my room and sell that massive pile of stuff on my desk that I don’t want on eBay. I want to be able to see my floor and to actually be able to open all my drawers. It would be great to get my sewing machine back from my parent’s house and be able to put it on my clear desk. I didn’t realise how much I missed sewing. I was planning on selling my fabric collection but I realised that I didn’t want to because I worked too hard to get it and I want to see it turn into nice things for people. It would be awesome to get all the brand new American Apparel t-shirts I have in a drawer, paint them and sell them.

Once I use up all my fabric and t-shirts then I’ll have more room for my jewellery, supplies and vintage stock. Plus, selling all this stuff should hopefully let me earn enough to get by. At this point in my life I may as well try. It’s a leap of faith. It sounds pretty crazy when I say it all out loud like that – “yep, I’m gonna try and sell my stuff to make a living while I’m unemployed.” We shall have to see.

So for those of you who are at a crossroads and are worried about the future, make a plan (and a back-up plan). You could feel much better than you would be if you were heading into the unknown.  I don’t know about you, but I feel much better jumping off the cliff with my eyes open. This is coming from someone who has literally jumped off a cliff before (only 30 feet though, lol). I am scared of heights and I did it with my eyes open, just like I’ll be doing very soon (metaphorically of course – no way I’m going near any cliffs for awhile, lol). Nope, not scared at all. Wish me luck.

I shall leave you with a picture of a car I walked past that was covered in cubes of jelly (that’s jell-o to the American’s). Ah randomness.


2 comments:

Sophie@Diary of a Young Designer said...

dear I just couldn't understand you better. It's funny how we both have basically the same situation. I'm going to work super hard to get my shop in shape to be my full time job; I'm not unemployed anymore, I'm self-employed. Looking after myself, and if things don't work, I'll make them work. So you're doing the right thing and I totally wish you for things to go better than what you expect. =D

xo
Sophie

Ittybit Delights said...

I think you have a great outlook on your current situation. Not quick to just give up but looking at other options you have. I say to keep pressing forward and stay strong because in the end you will reap the rewards.

Hugs to you,
Ittybit